Sunday, February 7, 2010

Question of the week: "Have I created a monster?"

When I began my newfound habit of crocheting in November, I had no idea it would end up where it is today. Meaning, I believe I've stumbled on the latest fashion craze - not neckwarmers, like I'd hoped, but, instead, baby and children hats!

From time to time I will browse through Etsy.com or Youtube.com to find inspiration. You see, I like things that are acceptable, but different. For instance, when I saw an Irish woman's version of a neckwarmer, scarflette, or cowl (depending on where you are located) I immediately thought, I can do that! I began crocheting countless neckwarmers for friends and family members, they truly became cheaper alternatives for Christmas-gift spoiling, but, I always seemed to garner the same response: "Wow. Thanks. What is it?" Side note about me: When "I" like something, especially if I become amazed and excited about it, I assume those around me will feel the same. My husband calls this the "Hansborough Effect." ----to be explained at a later date or upon personal requests by email--- Well, the neckwarmers didn't take off as much as I'd hope. However, I did stumble across a precious baby beanie with bear ears and decided to tackle that design. A co-worker's 1 1/2-year-old son became my muse, and so I set off to tackle this garment. Two days later, bear-eared hat in hand, she loved it! Her opinion truly meant a lot to me because she knows a lot of mothers in the community, therefore, if she loved the hat, others would follow!

Needless to say, they did and have....and I've created no less than four hats over this past snowy weekend! I can crochet a hat in about a day or less, so I'm thinking of taking this newfound fanatic "on the road," so to speak. I might take the summer months to stock up and create as many hats as I can, then, as the season shifts to cooler breezes, perhaps I'll set up shop at our local Octoberfest or Farmer's Market to sell my newfound prizes. Have I created a monster in my baby beanies? Perhaps, but it's so darn much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome to blog world! I'm going to link your site on my blog...

    I love my neck warmer as it came in handy during a coooold winter trip to Boston! Also - my daughter looks just too cute in her scarflet as well... it was a hit during the recent snowstorm! Keep it up!

    mary-margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the website...you go girl! I just finished a wrap with a chain stitch fringe for Susanne in Switzerland. I'll email pix! Good luck with the new biz!!!! XXOO

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete